Wednesday 12 March 2008

Graduation

This weblog has been in the “sleeping mode” for almost a year. The reason for that is that I have been very busy completing my PhD. On the 11th of February I had my exam. In Holland a graduation is a rather traditional ceremony, but as I can now say from my own experience: It is great fun ! The event start with a so called “lekenpraatje”. In this 10 minute presentation you try to explain to the invited people the essence of you research. I had about a 100 guests and from their reaction I understand they got the point.


Then the formal part starts with the 8 professors coming in, leaded by the “pedel”, that’s the lady with the staff. For a hour they asked questions about the research. After that they went to a separate room and they returned after about 20 minutes. I was invited to stand in front of the chairman and he read an official statement that I had passed the exam.
After that Mick Eekhout, my professor, gave me the official document (it’s in the red tube) .


Finally, the professors with the pedel in front, left the room. On the stairs the official photo was made and that was the end of the formal part of the day.

No comments: